Trent McConaghy is the Co-Founder of Solido, Ascribe, BigchainDB and Ocean Protocol. He holds a PhD in Engineering and has a background in Computer Science.
In this episode, Trent and I discuss:
– How Trent went from being raised on a pig farm in Saskatchewan, Canada, to being one of the world’s top experts in Blockchain and Artificial Intelligence (AI)
– How companies like Facebook and Google are really just data companies that hoard data (and it looks like Ocean may change that)
– The “ArtDAO” – a thought experiment on how an autonomous piece of AI code becomes independently wealthy. What does it do with the money?
– The nuts and bolts of Ocean Protocol, Estonia’s e-residency program (which Trent has advised Estonia on), and much more
[01:14] – Who is Trent McConaghy and what is Ocean? History, introduction and overview
[19:18] – BigchainDB, Byzantine Fault Tolerance, and a quick lesson on databases
[27:40] – The ArtDAO, a thought experiment
[32:00] – Can AIs have legal rights?
[36:16] – Trent gives us an overview of genetic programming
[45:25] – An overview of the Ocean Protocol
[57:00] – Trent McConaghy provides examples of key players in the Ocean ecosystem
[1:09:20] – An approximate timeline for the release of Ocean
[1:11:43] – How does Ocean navigate the legalities around data privacy?
[1:15:01] – Ocean and DEX (a data company)
[1:17:37] – Trent’s advisory role with Estonia’s E-Residency program
[1:24:52] – His prediction of where Bitcoin and Ethereum will be in 10 years
[1:30:30] – Trent McConaghy’s advice to companies and entrepreneurs interested in innovating with Blockchain and AI
[1:34:31] – Trent’s take on Blockchain’s “killer app”
[1:38:30] – How to get in touch with Trent and learn more about Ocean
[1:39:24] – Conclusion
– Token Engineering: a methodology for token design
– The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Data (paper by Google)
– AI X Prize (using AI to assist NGOs in Africa)
– IXO (UN tokens)
– Starships and tokens article
– UBI (universal basic income)
– Guido van Rossum (Python author)
– Trent’s Twitter profile
– BigchainDB website
– Ocean Protocol website