Lane Retting worked at the Ethereum Foundation. He is a hacker and polyglot with an affinity for East Asian languages.
In this episode, Lane and I discuss:
– The journey to a brand new Ethereum – Ethereum 2.0 (code named “Serenity”). We discuss what Serenity’s roadmap looks like, and when it’s expected to ship
– Lane’s work on ewasm
– And of course, governance, proof-of-stake, sharding, “Plasma,” and much more!
[01:00] – Who is Lane Retting and what was his role at the Ethereum Foundation? Introduction and overview
[07:00] – Lane’s love for East Asia
[13:53] – Ethereum 2.0: What to expect
[20:00] – EWASM
[25:40] – Blockchain governance
[39:42] – Ethereum 2.0 timeline
[43:08] – Scaling solutions (sharding, Plasma, side chains, state channels, Raiden)
[45:45] – Lane’s 10-year perspective on Bitcoin and Ethereum
[56:46] – His take on the Ethereum “killer app”
[1:00:20] – Lane Rettig’s parting piece of advice
[1:01:18] – How to get in touch with Lane
[1:01:37] – Conclusion
– Ethereum Foundation website
– Twitter: @lrettig
– EWASM on Gitter
LANE’S PANEL DISCUSSION AT REBUILD
– Ethereum Cat Herders (project management initiative)
– The DAO attacker’s statement
– DeFi (decentralized finance)
eToro is an online trading platform founded in 2007, with over 10 million users across 140 countries.
They started offering cryptocurrency trading in 2013, and are now bringing that to the US!
You can trade 14 of the top cryptocurrencies using best-in-class trading tools that are great for both beginners and veteran traders.
My family, friends, and clients consider me the blockchain/crypto guy, and ever since the bitcoin price started going up, the top question I get asked is, ‘Should I buy some bitcoin?’
Here’s the thing, even though I worked in financial services for many years, I am not a financial advisor. Therefore, I cannot give you investment advice. Also, as most of you know, crypto assets are a risky asset class. So again, this is not investment advice.
Here’s what you can do:
– go to https://blockchain.global/eToro
– sign up for an eToro account
– set up a virtual trading portfolio
– get 100,000 virtual dollars that you can use to buy up to 14 cryptocurrencies including bitcoin
That way you get to:
– experience what buying cryptocurrency is like
– see how the markets move
– access all the cool trading tools on the eToro platform, without using any real money
Once you’re comfortable playing around with virtual dollars, you can then decide whether or not to use your own real money.
So again, go to https://blockchain.global/eToro and sign up for your account.